Monday, July 22, 2013

Service Learning Update: Collecting Oral Histories at Hawks Inn

This summer, the Material Culture Program at UW-Madison is sponsoring five undergraduate students at local historical societies and museums in the Madison area. The Summer Service Learners gain real-world work experience and put the skills they've learned in the classroom to practical use, and the host organizations receive help with projects they may not otherwise have the time, staff, or other resources to complete. In this post, Gianofer Fields reports on her project to document the experiences of local history volunteers, starting with the Hawks Inn Museum in Delafield, Wisconsin.


The thing that surprises me most about the time I’ve spent at Hawks Inn in Delafield Wisconsin is that I find myself still breaking one of my cardinal rules of material culture studies. I’m not supposed to judge, evaluate, or experience objects through my personal set of experiences. I’m supposed to greet every object I meet openly and without seeing it through my culture lens. While I am very conscious to avoid that mistake with objects, I’m constantly breaking that rule when it comes to people. I’m shocked when I meet people who don’t like chocolate. I can’t understand why anybody would rather watch golf than football or pass up candy for anything savory.

I digress.

The Inn was built in 1843 as a stagecoach stop for folks settling in Wisconsin and those seeking shelter on their way West. However, this missive is not about the building…it’s about the folks who keep it alive. The first time I spoke with lead volunteer Jim Babcock I was struck by the sound of his voice. It’s a mixture of soil, sawdust, and happiness. It sounds like history coming through a filter made out of an antique cheese grater. The man’s got some serious pipes, just right for story telling.

After our introductory pleasantries, I explained to Mr. Babcock that I was an independent radio producer with twenty plus years under my belt. When he asked me what my plan was for the summer learning project, I gleefully explained that I was on a mission to record his connections with the many objects, that when combined, create the Inn's historical narrative. I asked him to pick out three objects that he thought were crucial to telling the Inns story. Out of the three we would pick one, I’d record him talking about it and I would then…wait for it…teach him how to edit the tape himself. You know because EVERYBODY loves editing tape, right.

I can smell the hubris right now as I’m writing this. 

Anyway, Mr. Babcock didn’t flinch, bless his heart, and suggested that I attend the Inn's weekly Wednesday coffee clutch. That way I could meet all of the volunteers at once, go over the project, and get a feel for the place. We met in the meeting room next to the Inn. It looks like a giant dining room with a galley kitchen. Each of the long tables appeared to be held in place by Windsor kitchen chairs painted black. The brightness of the rooms paled in comparison to the smiles of the volunteers. These women are so vibrant; their glow denies their age. I would never be so boorish to reveal the number of years they have under their belts. However, I will say that they have been retired from their chosen professions for some time now and were thoroughly enjoying their Golden years.

When I walked in Mr. Babcock was talking about driving down Johnson Street passed the Presbyterian Church in Madison and finding a beautiful carpet cast out by students leaving town for the summer. “It’s still amazing to me how many beautiful things they throw away,” he said. Slightly changing his tune, he introduced me to the other volunteers and asked me to explain my reason for being there. I waxed on about my intention to record audio about the objects that help weave the Inn’s narrative. Mr. Babcock would be the voice of the Inn.

When I got to the part about teaching them to edit the audio, I could feel a shift in the room. While their smiles never dimmed, something changed.  So I asked “Would any of you be interested in learning how to edit the audio for the segment?”

No.

Not I don’t think so or probably not or any excuses about not having the time
It was a simple, sweet, and very direct no. It was a very real “What do you mean you don’t like chocolate?” moment. That wasn’t the only thing that changed the direction of my project. Mrs. Seltzer was talking about how much Delafield had changed since she and her husband moved to the area. The others chimed in, telling stories from their childhoods. They talked about places they remembered and more importantly, the questions they forgot to ask their parents, while they were still alive. The more I got to know them the more I realized that that my being there was bigger than things.

After writing this, I’ll plug in my audio editing equipment and finish editing the stories told to me by the volunteers. In the coming weeks you will hear from a woman who started her relationship by folding quilts and now gives guided tours of the Inn. You will hear from a woman who works in the gift shop and though she’s a little unsteady on her feet, comes to the Inn as much as possible. The woman who is in charge of the place will tell you how she got her start pulling weeds and identifying plants in the garden. Then there is Mr. Babcock who will spell bind you with a voice made of soil, sawdust, and happiness all filtered through an antique cheese grater.

--Gianofer Fields

Volunteer Mary Daniel tending flower beds at Hawks Inn.
Volunteer Mary Daniel tending flower beds at Hawks Inn.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment